Beautiful ice caves lie underneath glacial ice in Iceland. I found the picture somewhere on the Internet and thought it was pretty. Hence, here it is. I wish we all could have such gorgeous lighted/patterned ceilings… Enjoy!
First of all, I could say my absence since the day of I-don’t-know-when was due to busy schoolwork, scheduling, activities, my computer dying and me needing to get another one and consequently losing all my bookmarks (and therefore neglecting WordPress), and other post-delaying obstacles, but that would be untrue. Yes, yes, yes, there are kernels of truth in all of those, but the main reason I haven’t been posting is due to laziness at first, and then utterly inexcusable forgetfulness. So I am sorry, dear readers. I know I have said it before, and I probably will say it again, but I sincerely apologize for not posting for an undefined amount of time.
With that said, I will move on to more interesting topics. I know, nobody likes reading apologies. And they are nothing new on my site, anyway. (For that I am sorry, as well – apologies for apologizing :P)
Yesterday was THANKSGIVING!!! Wonderful, wonderful holiday. After gathering with relatives, we tucked in to a fabulous feast with scrumptious squash, bountiful beans, marvelous mashed potatoes, succulent stuffing, and of course the tantalizing turkey. After recovering from our food-induced comas, we set about demolishing perfectly pleasant, pleasing, palatable pies paired with amazing a la mode and wondrous whipped cream. 😀 Wonderful dishes, all. The conversation was just as nice, and afterwards we switched between watching football and Punkin Chunkin, the annual pumpkin hurling contest in which catapults, air cannons, and trebuchets chunk pumpkins as much as three thousand feet. Rather impressive, I must say.
I am currently out of school until Monday, which is nice, because teachers aren’t allowed to give homework over Thanksgiving break. Usually long weekends mean extra homework, but not on holidays! 😀 I still have a few days of stress-free bliss, and then back to tests, quizzes, homework, classes, activities, and general mayhem. Gotta love high school.
Yes, this is not a full catch-up on what I have been doing for the last couple of months, but it is a start for posting again. As soon as I can find some fresh and interesting ideas to post about, this site will be up and running again, as I’m sure there is something better out there for me to write about than half-baked updates and apologies. 😛
Thank you to all readers who stick with me despite my unfaithfulness to my little site! Smiles to all! 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀
On Christmas Eve of this year, my severely disabled aunt Maria passed away. The funeral and wake was yesterday, and a few readers of my blog told me I should post my poem that I wrote for her that was said in the service. Here it is now:
Life for you,
Was hard in your later years.
Never able to fully express yourself;
Never able to say what is needed through words.
Younger years did portray content,
From lying under beds and sitting on laps,
And those memories we take with us.
You are infinitely whole.
Heaven is your home now,
And at last,
You rest in comfort.
The people you have known who have passed on,
You see them again.
You now can tell them
How much you love them
How much you needed them
How much you thank them for taking care of you.
What we see as only an end,
For you means infinite life
And a beginning greater than words.
We miss you, Maria. Journey to Heaven safely.
Happy New Year, everyone!
I AM ON CHRISTMAS BREAK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy. I don’t have much time to post, but I just wanted to put it out there. Bye!
Snow, snow, snow!!! How I wish it would snow in the real world! (I’m kidding, of course. Shoveling it out of the driveway is NOT SO FUN.)
The other day it felt like Spring. I blame this on Global Warming.
Today is a half school day, which is awesome. I have a lot of homework, though. And 2 projects. And a test coming up. Perhaps more. What does this spell? O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.E.D. And yes, I am thankful I am not in college yet. Imagine what I’ll have to say about that.
Yesterday my class went on a field trip to the Higgins Museum of armor. It was a lot of fun, especially our tours, as my tour guide was really nice and knew EVERYTHING about armor. The gift shop was really great, too. Dragons, crystal balls, and sword-shaped letter openers are all the rage!
I don’t have much to say, really, so I will cut this short. All I can say is that Subway has really great Philly Cheese-steak subs! My stomach is rather happy at the moment.
First of all, I will say that I had a LOVELY Thanksgiving. There was a twenty-four pound bird. And awesome family. And awesome food. And an awesome cat.
Second, I stumbled (literally, go here for an explanation) upon a list of thought-provoking questions on the Internet. I thought it would be nice to share these. The original site is here, if you want to check it out, because it is a really worthwhile and sweet corner of the web. So, without further ado, I present the
LIST OF THOUGHT-PROVOKING QUESTIONS
If the question makes you think, it’s worth asking.
- What is it like to wake up every morning and pretend that you aren’t dying?
- Do you believe in the death penalty? What if someone murdered your mother in cold blood? What if someone murdered a stranger’s mother, but saved your life the month before?
- If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend?
- Would you rather be rich and paralyzed from the waist down or poor and able bodied?
- What’s the most expensive gift you have ever received? Is it the best gift you have ever received?
- When was the last time you lied? Is it possible to lie without saying anything at all?
- Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child?
- If I gave you $20, what percentage would you – really – save? If I gave you $200,000, what percentage would you save? Should there be a difference?
- If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you?
- If you found out you were going to die today, would you have any regrets? Would you be happy with the way you spent the last 24 hours of your life?
- What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn?
- Do the words ‘freedom’ and ‘liberty’ mean not being persecuted or discriminated against, or do they mean doing whatever you please?
- Have you ever discriminated against someone? Imagine that a street gang notorious for wearing purple shirts has robbed and murdered several hundred people in your town. If a man wearing a purple shirt just rang your doorbell, would you answer it?
- Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week?
- Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough time? How many hours a week do you spend watching TV, or playing video games, or…?
- Do you ever celebrate the green lights?
- If you could be given another talent or ability, what would you want it to be? Have you ever – really – tried to perfect this ability in yourself?
- No matter how bad things get, are you aware that someone always has it worse than you do?
- When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?”
- Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today?
- What’s the difference between ‘living’ and ‘existing?’
- Are you willing to sacrifice the life of your child or lover to support a war?
- Do you ask enough questions, or do you settle for what you know?
- If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?
- If your life was a novel, what would be the title and how would your story end?
I know I suggested it before, but please take a look at this site. It has TONS of other really great stuff. Oh, and here. Have a butterfly.
I’m going to keep this short, but I’m just going to say that my weekend is LONG!!! We have Thursday and Friday off, along with Saturday and Sunday. This makes me HAPPY!
Yesterday was the eighth grade movie night, and I overdosed on chocolate. All through today I have been overtired, nauseous, having a splitting headache, and just sort of… out of it. Today felt really weird. Ugh. I wanted to go to swim practice today to work off all of those choco-calories, but the nauseous and headache part of me won, so I am home instead. Tomorrow WILL be better!!!! (positive thinking, right?) 🙂